» Rat Guide     » Health Guide     » Care Guide     » Medication Guide     » Breeding Guide    


Back to Anti-Infectives

The anthelmintics are a group of drugs that are selectively toxic to parasites. These drugs achieve this by either inhibiting the metabolic process vital to the parasite, or by causing the parasite to be exposed to a higher concentration of drug than are the hosts cells.

The anthelmintics can accomplish this during treatment by: interfering with the integrity of parasite cells, inhibiting neuromuscular transmission and coordination, or by interfering with the mechanisms which protect against host immunity that ultimately lead to the starvation, neuromuscular paralysis, death and expulsion of the parasite.

Anthelmintics can be administered by drench, paste, orally, or by injection. The drugs are absorbed into the blood stream and widely diffused. They are metabolized in the liver and excreted in feces and urine.

Posted on June 23, 2003, 15:54, Last updated on January 29, 2009, 13:52 | Anti-Infectives

Rat Guide Logo
All other written and visual materials used by permission of specific authors for the sole use of the Rat Guide.
Brought to you by KuddlyKorner4u
See Logos page for linking to the Rat Guide.
Rat Guide brought to you by KuddlyKorner4u