Homemade Rat Housing
Building your rats house will enable you to get the layout and size that you prefer. Homemade environments can also be less expensive than manufactured cages.
Safety Points for Homemade Rat Housing
- Be sure any wire spacing is appropriate for the size of the rats contained.
- Check all latches and lids for security.
- Only use materials that are non toxic.
- Do not use materials that can be chewed through.
- Provide flooring that won’t cause injury.
- Sand down all sharp or jagged edges.
- Check for adequate ventilation.
- Make a cage that can be easily cleaned and sanitized.
- Be certain the home provides enough space for the contained rats.
Photo Examples of Homemade Rat Housing
Cabinet style- The Rat Mansion
Ventilated wire shelving cage- Sparky’s Shelf Cage
Homemade housing photos supplied by:
Posted on July 16, 2003, 15:15,
Last updated on March 13, 2010, 13:51
Sparky Rat’s coated wire shelving cage: