Safe in pregnancy:
- Amoxicillin with clavulanate
- Most Fluoroquinolones: Ciprofloxacin/Enrofloxacin (Baytril) *
- Aspirin (Can cause birth defects in rats)
- Tetracyclines (May impede development of fetal bones and teeth)
Medications That Decrease Fertility in Males:
* The Fluorquinolone studies for toxicity were done using toxic levels of the drug (LD50 or above) rather than the therapeutic level, which may indicate that these medications may be used if the benefit is greater than the risk.
If you choose to use these fluoroquinolones check with a vet and do not dose babies if mom is being dosed (as the babies will receive it in the maternal milk.)
For more information on the drugs listed above see individual monographs located in the Rat Medication Guide.