Silvadene, Thermazene, SSD cream
- Topical cream of a 1% solution in a water-soluble base
Silver sulfadiazine is a sulfa derived topical broad-spectrum antimicrobial and antifungal cream. It is bactericidal for fungi and Gram-positive and Gram-negative organisms.
Its action is to disrupt both microbial cell walls and cell membranes.
The systemic absorption of silver sulfadiazine varies largely upon how large a body surface area that it is used on. At this time it is unknown if silver sulfadiazine is excreted during lactation.1
Studies show no indication of teratogenic or carcinogenic effects in rats or rabbits.
Used in rats to prevent and treat bacterial or fungal infections associated with second or third-degree burns, or in minor shallow-area wounds.
Drug Interactions or Contraindications
- Discontinue use of the cream if hypersensitivity develops such as: redness at site, rash, difficulty breathing, or loss of appetite.
GU: toxic nephrosis
Hematologic: transient leukopenia (decreased white blood cells), thrombocytopenia (decreased platelets)
Skin: discoloration, necrosis
Other: Avoid getting in or near eyes. Flush eyes with water in the event of contact. May cause photosensitivity. Keep animal out of direct sunlight.
Gently wash or flush wound or burn area of skin to remove any debris or foreign particles. Dry area before applying. Wear glove or apply with a cotton tipped applicator. Apply thin layer (1/16″) of cream to completely cover area once or twice a day, following cleansing of wound, and continue its use until wound is healed, or as directed by veterinarian. 12
- *Note for Humans: avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands with soap and water immediately after skin contact with product. In the event of eye contact, flush eyes copiously with water. Keep out of reach of children.
- Store in a tightly-closed container (away from excess heat and moisture) at room temperature.
- Silvadene Cream 1% (Silver Sulfadiazine). (2012, September). Retrieved August 14, 2020, from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2013/017381s050lbl.pdf