Panacur Granules, Panacur Suspension (OTC), Safe-Guard Suspension (OTC)
- Suspension: 10% (100 mg/mL)
- Granules: 22.2% (222 mg/gm)
Fenbendazole is a benzimidazole anthelmintic, that has broad-spectrum, and a wide safety margin. It binds to 3-tubulin astructural protein that blocks polymerization of tubulin into microtubules, which damages the integrity and the transport function of cells in parasites. The reason behind the wide safety margin is due to its infinity to the parasitic tubules rather than mammalian.
It is considered safe for use in pregnancy in all species.
Fenbendazole is minimally absorbed after it is given orally and is metabolized to the active compound oxfendazole sulfoxide and sulfone. It is excreted in the feces and urine.
For use in the removal of ascarids, hookworms, Taenia species of tapeworm, pinworms, and roundworms. Also effective against giardia, a protozoan.
Drug Interactions or Contraindications
- Fenbendazole is not recommended to be given concurrently with bromsalan flukicides due to the possibility that it can cause abortions in animals.
- Do not use fenbendazole on sick or malnutritioned rats, or on rats that are under 5 weeks old.
May cause hypersensitivity, although none significantly reported.
10 mg/kg, PO, once, when treating for pinworms. 27
20 mg/kg, PO, q24hr for 5 days. 2, 41, 43, 44
20 mg/kg to 50 mg/kg, PO, q24hr for 5 consecutive days. *Note: higher dosing end for giardiasis only!* 27, 34, 41, 42, 44
- Store suspension as directed on label.
- Store granules in a tightly sealed container at room temperature. Protect from sunlight.