thiabendazole, dexamethasone, neomycin sulfate
- Topical Solution: 7.5 mL and 15 mL dropper bottles by prescription
Tresaderm is a dermatologic topical solution which contains thiabendazole, dexamethasone, and neomycin sulfate. The ingredient thiabendazole is both a fungicide and a parasiticide, and displays activity against dermatophytes (e.g., Microsporum and Trichophyton). Dexamethasone, a synthetic adrenocorticoid steroid, acts by suppressing inflammatory manifestations of skin disease, and inhibits the reaction of connective tissue to injury. Neomycin, an antibacterial agent, displays activity against Gram-negative and Gram-positive organisms.
Tresaderm is designed for use in the treatment of certain bacterial, mycotic and inflammatory dermatoses, as well as, for use in otitis externa. The combination of these ingredients, in Tresaderm, also aids in controlling the discomfort associated with these conditions.
Used in the treatment of certain bacterial, fungal and inflammatory skin conditions, and otitis externa.
Drug Interactions or Contraindications
- Do not use if ear drum is ruptured.
- Before using other medications along with Tresaderm check with veterinarian!
CNS: lethargy, weakness
GI: increased thirst, salt and water retention caused by corticosteroid.
Other: redness, swelling
1-2 drops BID for 4 days and then decrease to 1 drop daily for 3 additional days or as veterinarian prescribes. 24, 25
Prior to application, gently wipe away any crusting, or foreign material from ear with a clean gauze pad. Hold medication in hand for 1-2 minutes to reduce cold sensation before instilling in ear. Massage ear after instilling drop(s).
- Do not use longer than one week unless directed by veterinarian.
- Avoid contact with eyes or mouth. Flush with water for several minutes and contact veterinarian.
- This medication has a narrow range of storage temperature. Keep refrigerated.
- Throw away outdated medication.